How late is too late to get chicks in the fall? (I live in Chicagoland suburbs)

Never forget that the windchill has nothing to do with the temperature inside the coop.
I personally was able to put chicks and ducklings outside as young as 2-3 weeks during the winter. They had a ton of straw, and adults in the coop as body heat.
To give a number, I would say that the overnight temperature should be at least 45°, but better 50 the first couple nights.
Yes, it is totally true that adding heat will cause problems if you lose power during the winter. That is not the same thing as putting heat in the coop when they are chicks though. You just have to wean them off of the additional heat.
Did you have any heat sources in the coop? I have a draft proof coop and the nights are going to be in the 60's. My friend (who is caring for them) wanted to put them in there as day olds. Would they freeze to death?

Did you have any heat sources in the coop? I have a draft proof coop and the nights are going to be in the 60's. My friend (who is caring for them) wanted to put them in there as day olds. Would they freeze to death?
Only the first two times. The first time was mid-March (‘16) and it was 30-ish and snowing overnight. The babies were 2-week old ducks and 3-week-old chicks. They slept at the other side of the coop 6’ from the heat lamp, and it was 3’ up. After the second night (heat overnight only) of checking several times overnight, and never hearing a peep or seeing them near the lamp, I kept it unplugged.
The next time, it was probably November. They were one week, and I used the lamp for a week. The third or fourth night, they didn’t sleep near it. I raised it, and raised it. They were fine.
Now for the one fail. I think it was last spring (‘19) that I had one chick crushed, and one chick freeze within an hour. I was using a prefabricated (as in garbage) coop, and they were likely still weak from the conditions at the feed store (dead chicks in the feed store bibs, and two chicks died the first day, in the house!). I doubt that would ever happen again.

Only the first two times. The first time was mid-March (‘16) and it was 30-ish and snowing overnight. The babies were 2-week old ducks and 3-week-old chicks. They slept at the other side of the coop 6’ from the heat lamp, and it was 3’ up. After the second night (heat overnight only) of checking several times overnight, and never hearing a peep or seeing them near the lamp, I kept it unplugged.
The next time, it was probably November. They were one week, and I used the lamp for a week. The third or fourth night, they didn’t sleep near it. I raised it, and raised it. They were fine.
Now for the one fail. I think it was last spring (‘19) that I had one chick crushed, and one chick freeze within an hour. I was using a prefabricated (as in garbage) coop, and they were likely still weak from the conditions at the feed store (dead chicks in the feed store bibs, and two chicks died the first day, in the house!). I doubt that would ever happen again.
Thank you! So should I keep them in a brooder for a week or so and then put them in the coop? The lows will be in the low 60's and upper 50's. Thanks again.

I was looking for a picture, and came across my last batch of incubator chicks. I did the Halloween hatch along last year. The chicks moved outside November 19th. The LO wanted them inside, so I put it off as long as I could. :lol:
The high was 37*, and it was 34* that night.

Back
Top Bottom