How likely are my chicks to survive their trip?

We are in Washington in the PNW. We had 28 chicks shipped from Iowa (welp hatchery) and they all are doing well, we are into the second week and no loss. I think a lot depends on the health of the stock they came from, definitely you run a little more risk with only 4 because there are not as many to keep each other warm, but as long as the trip only takes 2-3 days you should be okay. But be prepared, loss does occur and that is why they offer replacements from most hatcheries. Good luck with your new babies!
I was looking at Ideal Poultry in Texas and if you order a small order they said they will include male chicks for heat. This is from their web site
If your order consists of a very small number of items (less than the equivalent of a quarter of a box), there may be male chicks placed in the box for warmth or comfort during shipping. The breed of chicks included varies from order to order and unfortunately we are unable to identify the breed. If you do not wish for us to include males in your order, you may choose to purchase insurance for your shipment at a minimal cost.

I think you will find that your chicks will be okay. Chicks have been shipped in the postal system for over 100 years. Stuff happens. I have ordered chicks 6 different times and I have only had 1 real loss of all of the chicks, I have lost a few with the bigger shipments but for the most part it has worked out well. I carry a bottle of water with me so that I can give them water right away. You might want to bring someone with you if you open the box to water them. They are so darn cute but with 25 it is a bit of a challenge to dip all of their beaks in the water. It is sometimes easier to transfer the dipped chicks into a box until you know who has and who has not been dipped.

Sometimes the shipper adds some green gel and the chicks eat it.

I will hope for the best and that you will have a good experience!\

Caroline

It's been about 24 hours and no sign of sickness
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom