1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How ling do you wait to start trying to fix crooked toes

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Knix6468, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Knix6468

Knix6468 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Gaston Oregon
    I am wondering if I am starting too late. I have two that hatched out this afternoon and
    One has both outside toes bent at 90 degree angle at a joint toward other two toes.

I think he will probably need shoes but, how long do you wait to let nature
    Hopefully correct this.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I would start as soon as they are bearing some weight on the foot-- or at least until they are dried off and moving.

3. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    I leave them be until they are dry, then you'll be able to see if they really a crooned. Once I know for sure if its toes are crooked I put on the shoes.

I do the pipe cleaner trick. It's the best thing I've found.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I have never hatched any Peachicks, (I have 2 that I got when they were a couple days old tho...no toe issues with them, whew) but I've hatched around 1000 Guinea keets... and when I fix crooked toes on a keet I make them a tape shoe... and trim it so it looks more like a flipper. I'll try to explain my technique..

First I press the toes down on a wide enough piece of tape (sticky side up) to fit the foot with toes spread open all the way, gently pressing the 3 toes to the tape and making sure they are straight, (you may need a helper). Then once I am happy with the position of the toes I add another layer of tape (same size), sticky side down so it sticks to the first piece of tape and then I gently press it together between all 3 toes and outside of the toes. After it's all stuck and the toes are secure I trim the excess from the back and front corners. Looks sorta like a scuba diving flipper when I am done so whichever keet gets foxed this way gets a temporay nick name of "Flipper", lol. I usually use black electrical tape for keets, but you may be able to use regular duct tape to accomplish the same thing. It takes them a little while to figure out how to walk with it on, but it usually lasts/stays on about 3 days or so, and by then the toes are fixed [​IMG] Maybe you can give it a try?

Good luck!

[​IMG]

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Peeps idea works well but I would use the 1" white athletic tape instead of duct tape. Some duct tape is some nasty stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by