How long 50lbs of feed last?

Shadowglare

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
I am getting 6 chicks soon so how much would 50lbs last me? I had 4 chicks about 3 years ago, I don’t remember how long it lasted me but it felt like I was flying through bags.

Chicks are wasteful, so they will scatter a good bit out of the feeders. Even so, 50# should last you a good while. Over a month, I'd guess. For six chicks maybe even close to two months. Is this a chick starter feed?

My 40lb bags last me 3 weeks or more with 6 chicks. So a 50 lb may last longer. I raised 6 to atleast 10 weeks and if i remember i used about 4 bags
But as they get a little older they tend to eat more.
But they didnt waste food either unlike the chicks i got from feed stores.

Chicks are wasteful, so they will scatter a good bit out of the feeders. Even so, 50# should last you a good while. Over a month, I'd guess. For six chicks maybe even close to two months. Is this a chick starter feed?
Yes. I think when I had 4 I went through a bag in a month. 3 years ago was my first year with chickens. I knew nothing about chickens since I had a chicken stumble into my house and started it all. Now I'm just trying to be more prepared and trying to remember how much feed I should probably have.

The four ounce per day per bird is good for a full size laying hen but should be excessive for chicks. Last time I hatched chicks a ten pound bag of starter crumbles got around 20 chicks into the feathered stage and out into the coop around late spring.

Think in terms of feed conversion, what, two to three pounds of feed turns into a pound of chicken? Chicks start off at a few ounces I'd guess and might weigh four to five ounces when able to move into the coop. Even at five ounces gain x 6 chicks = 30 ounces or under two pounds of chicken. Ten pounds ought to leave a lot to waste but they will continue to eat the starter crumble anyway while transitioning into regular crumble.

Back
Top Bottom