How long after anitibiotic do I have to wait for eggs?

jacca5

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Hodgenville, KY
How long after I quit giving antibiotic do I have to wait before I can start eating the eggs again? Also the eggs that were laid during the antibiotic are they ok for hatching?

What antibiotic did you give your flock and what were you treating?

The head vet at VA Tech in the Poultry Science dept. that helped me so much with my flock last summer recommends that you wait a full eggs cycle + a few extra days before consuming the eggs again. He says 12 -14 days, since an egg cycle is 10 days.

I don't think it would hurt to use them for hatching though as long as whatever you were treating for doesn't pass on to the embryo in the egg.

Quote:
Very accurate, although without knowing what antibiotic's you administered, some hold back times could be as high as 17-21. just read the label or google that drug.

AL

I used Terramycin and I am not really sure what they had. Some said CRD but what they had was really easy to treat and symptoms started to let up after 24 hours of the meds. On the internet I found that it said a 5 day withdraw time. Is that for eggs collection or to eat the meat?

It's probably for the meat.

I'd follow the full egg cycle, plus a few days rule for the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom