How long after baby chicks til my hen lays again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azulita, Jul 13, 2008.

1. azulita

azulita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2007
    My banty hen Ethel hatched 9 cute baby chicks the first week in June. They're all free range and roosting in the trees together.

Little Ricky, the dad, is kept away from the new flock. Here's my question...is their a general timeline for how long she will wait to start laying again?

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My Buff Orp started to lay 6 weeks after she hatched out her 6 "adopted" EE/Russian Orloff chicks. Several days later she "cut the apron strings" and set the babies on their own.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Once mom starts chasing them away to get er done on their own, usually around 8 weeks after the peeps were born the lay will continue.

bigzio

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    My two broodies stopped mothering their chicks and started laying again at 4 and 5 weeks.

5. azulita

azulita Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks all...I'm at about 6-weeks, so, I might start looking around for the eggs.

6. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    The broody hens I have had lost color in the comb when they were setting and when the color came back is when they would lay again. Like a pullet getting old enough to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by