How Long After Internal Pip Should You Assist

View attachment 1245957 She’s doing well today! Got her toes in bandaids and she’s been hanging out with her friend (courtesy my 3-year-old daughter). ;)

She’s eating a little but not interested in water quite yet. She’s just barely 24 hours out of the shell, so I’m not worried about that yet.

I would make sure that she is drinking water, they can live off of their yolk sacs for up to three days. Eating feed before they drink water can cause pasty butt.

Good to know!!

Eating and drinking as soon as possible is better than giving them 3 days, in my opinion. Humans "can" go 3 days without water too, but do you like it? Dehydration can start sooner than 3-days.

Sorry, this is one of those "they say" things, like float testing eggs, that really make no sense to me and I personally disagree with. I don't mean to sound argumentative, everyone has their own opinions, so I'm just sharing mine.

Eating and drinking as soon as possible is better than giving them 3 days, in my opinion. Humans "can" go 3 days without water too, but do you like it? Dehydration can start sooner than 3-days.

Sorry, this is one of those "they say" things, like float testing eggs, that really make no sense to me and I personally disagree with. I don't mean to sound argumentative, everyone has their own opinions, so I'm just sharing mine.

Oh, I know. And you're not being argumentative, I know what you mean :) I was just referring to hatchery chicks. Since they have to be shipped, handled, etc.

She was offered food the night she hatched (she came out around 9 am) but didn’t find it interesting at all. Next day she also pretty much ignored it but by the evening she was pecking. But she had absolutely no interest in water until she was a solid 3 days old.

I still have to “feed” her (she’s on day 4 now I think). It’s kinda cute, but I’m also hoping she’ll start eating on her own soon. I pick up the crumbles and drop them in front of her and kinda tap at them and she runs and pecks them and eats. It’s pretty dang cute.

I had set a few eggs after I realized hers was the only one out ufvthe four to develop and they should be hatching any day now.

She got two friends today, so hopefully that will help. I kinda enjoyed being the “other chick/momma hen” for a few days, but I know it would have gotten old after a while. I stay at home, so she was kept company and “fed” several times a day.

It was a fun four days, honestly! But I’m so glad she has some sisters. Two Buff Brahma girls :love

Last edited:
do you have heat for her, sorry i couldn't see any light.

Yup!! She has a heating pad on top of a hardware cloth “cave”. I actually got the idea from a thread on here but you haven’t seen it, check it out — it’s AWESOME. I think it’s called Momma Heating Pad, or something along those lines.

I love that they get heat, a snuggly place to hide and are able to experience night and daylight hours naturally. It’s amazing because they all just snuggle up and sleep at night with ZERO chirping.

I have two sizes of heating pads, one smaller one, and one large one. The large one can accommodate about 25 chicks. I highly, highly recommend checking out the thread and making one for your lil chickies. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom