How long after switching roosters

Dan Oelke

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
Otsego, MN
So my son wants to breed some of his chickens. Pens are under construction so that we can keep 1 roo with 3-4 hens. That way we can keep track of the off spring and the genetics backwards.

BUT - they have been roaming all together for some time. So, how long does the chicken sperm stay in the hen? That is, for how long do the new pair need to be together before we can assume that the father really is from that rooster?

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll get a few different answers/opinions. I personally wait 3 weeks when moving hens in with a new rooster before trying to hatch any eggs.

Wow - 3 weeks was longer than I was expecting.

I've been doing a bit of googling and haven't found much. I did find https://www.backyardchickens.com/keeping-chickens/hen-reproduction-sperm-eggs/ (That is chickenkeepingsecrets . com - the link is getting munged) that said sperm was good for 4-5 days, but then how long after fertilization does it take for the egg to be completed and laid?

Last edited:
The thing is, a hen will collect the roosters' sperm and store it for as long as it takes, and the number drops with each egg she lays. Usually be 3-4 weeks it should either run out or die out entirely.

Is it safe to assume the hatching eggs that come 10 days afterwards are ONLY from the old rooster? Even though the new rooster has been on her from the beginning? I just need to know so I know I can sell those eggs as pure. (The old rooster is the same breed, I'm switching a hen to the new rooster for an olive egger project)

Back
Top Bottom