How long after treating with Sulmet can the eggs be eatten by humans?

It is not so much that the small dose of ivermectin, tetracycline or sulmet, that one would eat if they eat the eggs or meat right after using the med will harm the average person- it is the possibility that someone might unknowlingly do this and have a bad reaction, ect. I personally am not afraid of ivermectin or any of the abundant OTC meds- I have gotten them on my hands, in my hair, you name it, it's been on me. Actually ivermectin IS used in human medicine for parasite treatment. It is all about avoiding passing on drug residue to the unwitting, not that the drug itself used correctly is harmful.

You will in no way get in trouble with the FDA if you use these meds on your own birds then eat the eggs or bird tomorrow. If you have some sort of unusual toxic reaction to the drug- it is your fault for not following the directions. What the FDA/FARAD does not want you to do is give them the drugs, then give eggs, sell them, ect to someone else who does not know what was done. Some people get very upset when someone accidentally puts meat into their lunch, or dairy, or peanuts, or non organic, or non locally grown--- insecticides, dewormers, antibiotic residues are just as bad or worse. Show bird people and people raising birds for breeding chicks for sale are safe, as are those who only have chickens for their own personal use. It's the people with backyard flocks selling eggs to neighbors or giving them away that need to be cautious. Commercial poultry folk don't use these things at all- they stick to the labels closely. They get shut down, lawsuits ect if drug residues turn up in their products. jess

I read a small comment on this post that mentioned pre-layers. Does the same precautions about Sulmet mentioned above include pre-layers?

So women at feed store when asking for Durvet recommended Sulmet....hubby stated for laying hen.... there is a NOTE on the back of the bottle.....DO NOT GIVE TO CHICKENS OR TURKEYS PRODUCING EGGS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION...

Glad I could find sulmet when looking quickly on this site....

I got Sulmet
Drinking Water Solution 12.5%

it is going back to store...

Back
Top Bottom