how long are Eggs good for ? Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I*Eat*Chickens*Yum, Mar 6, 2009.

1. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

ok so, I collected 12 eggs on Wednesday night and put them in the fridge. I then took them out Thursday morning and brought them in a carton to work to give to a friend.

I got called away from the office unexpectedly and did not return till this morning. I went to my desk to find the carton of eggs still sitting there. The office is the standard room temp of about 68 degrees. Are the eggs bad now ? please help as I would not want to sicken anyone ! man i hope I didnt waste a dozen prefectly good eggs. !!!

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    They are perfectly fine - don't worry!!

3. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

ok cool. Thanks. I thought I heard that some people store their eggs at room temp for a period of time after the birds lay them. have you heard of that ? if so how long can they be stored without refrigeration ? Thanks !!

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Sometimes I refrigerate and sometimes I just leave them in a basket on the counter. Depends on how many I have and how much room there is in the fridge. I've left them on the counter in the summer for a week or so but did refrigerate if the temperature was over 70. I've never had a bad one, but that's not to say it couldn't happen.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    In Europe they regularly leave their eggs out on the counter for weeks - so I've been told.

The eggs will be fine on your desk.

6. russ_t

russ_t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Taylor, Texas
    For what its worth, We carried eggs unrefrigerated on Navy submarines for more than a month with out a problem. After about three weeks it was prudent to break them into a bowl to be sure they weren't spoiled before adding to mixer.

7. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    I don't know about in the States but here all the Supermarkets sell them off the shelf, never in the fridge and most people here incl ourselves store them at room temp. I'm sure we've had eggs that have been longer than 2 weeks and they were just fine. AND it can get pretty darn hot here!

8. thistlecreek1

thistlecreek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    Quote:That is very interesting...

We did not realize when our first girls started to lay, and when we found the nest it had 9 eggs in it.. So we cracked them one by one, actually hubby did it, to be sure there where no surprises, and nothing was rotten. And when all were ok, we scrambled them up!

9. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    I think eggs generally last ALOT longer than most people think!

10. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I read in this forum that if you clean them, they don't last that long. So I've been keeping mine at room temperature, then cleaning them just before I cook them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by