How long are eggs good if they have been sitting in the nest?

SewingMom2many

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I just got all of my chickens within the last 2 weeks and recently moved them from my garage to their coop and yard. They were laying in the garage so I thought it was strange that they weren't laying at the farmyard. My son climbed up on a pile of hay and found 5 beautiful eggs in a spot I didn't know the chickens could get to! It seems a shame to throw the eggs away but they could have been out there for up to a week. Are they safe to eat or is there a way to test them? I also wonder if there is a possibility of any of the eggs being fertilized because I got the chickens from 3 different places and some were free range with a rooster. I'm thinking I just need to toss them and get over it but I thought I'd ask.

We put a nest box over the little hole they had gotten into so hopefully next time we will find eggs in the nest box!

Here is some adivce on how to tell if the eggs are still safe to eat.
Fill a large bowl with warm water.
Add one egg at a time.
If the eggs sinks, it is still safe to eat, If it floats.....HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE....ON SLIP AND THE SMELL WILL CAUSE YOU TO VOMIT.

Always remember that rotten eggs float!

They all sunk without hesitation and I left them in the later for a minute just to be sure they didn't rise up and they didn't.
Do I need to candle them? If so I guess I need to look up how to do that. They weren't warm when my son picked them up if that means anything.

Unless a hen was actually brooding them they should be fine after a week or longer. They have to be raised to 96.5* for a day or two before they being to develop. As long as they sink then they aren't rotten and are usable. Unwashed an egg will keep for a month or longer.

Back
Top Bottom