How long before a broody hen will lay eggs again?

Superman1360

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Milton
Hi everyone,

I had a broody hen just hatch 2 little chicks from fertile eggs from another farm. She is separated with her two little chicks from the rest of the flock. Typically, how long before she will start laying eggs again?

Thanks.

Mike

Hey Mike, I don't know what is typical, but my broody started laying again after about 2-2 1/2 weeks. I was surprised because for some reason I thought she wouldn't lay agian until the babies were older.

Just was curious because my egg production has taken a rapid decline. We only have 7 chickens that are old enough to lay and I went from getting 7 eggs a day to only about 3. My customers at work are missing their farm fresh eggs!

I'm so glad someone asked this, because I have 4 hens who all went broody together almost 4 mos ago. I finally gave them all some eggs to hatch, and now the babies are about a month old and I'm hoping the mamas will start laying again soon! Granted, they are mostly breeds that tend towards broodiness (a bantam cochin, easter egger, a silkie, and a standard modern game) so I may be waiting a while longer. The modern game is back to roosting with the adults instead of with the chicks, but she still hangs out with the babies and other mamas most of the day...

It's usually 4-6 weeks after egg hatch before momma starts to lay again, depending on the hen and the breed.

At this time she will lose interest in the chicks and may even shoo them away,

Sandie

i took the chicks off my broody when they were 2 weeks old (for saftey reasons, they were all being killed one by one!) anyhow about a week later she started laying again.

2 weeks later shes gone broody on me again
he.gif
darn hen, thats the third time this year!

Yes Spish,

Some hens are like that. My Gold Brahma hen who is just hatching chicks as I type became broody after she had laid about 15 eggs, I broke the broodiness due to her age. She became broody again after laying about 4 eggs, so I let her hatch eggs. After losing interest in her chicks when they were just over 5 weeks old she came back in to lay. She laid about another 10 eggs and then went broody again. She is just hatching these eggs now.

So she has laid less then 30 eggs in toal.....but BOY can she brood,

Sandie

The heat is a major factor in the egg production. My campbell hen ( The smaller duck in my avatar on the left) is supposed to lay between 330-355 eggs a year, and it's been about 4-5 days since I've gottin an egg. My two laying hens have also slowed down egg production to about 2 eggs every 36 hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom