How long before egg expires?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Juliechickens, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, I've never known this exactly for sure but I figure you guys would know the answer.....once a fresh egg has been laid by my chicken, how long does it have before it expires? I gather eggs twice a day and date them then refrigerate the eggs. I never know exactly how long before they expire.....could someone tell me??? Thanks, Julie

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your going to get lots of answers on expiration...I keep mine if they are lucky up to 2 months in the refrig and rotate the longest to use first...I sell quite a few so they don't get to sit long....I never wash my eggs because it takes the bloom (film) off the egg..my nest boxes are kept clean and I very rarely have a dirty or soiled egg....I keep mine on the counter in an egg basket for 2 or 3 days sometimes longer before putting them in the refrig....I've seen people post they have kept eggs 6 months or longer in the fridge and eat them ...

In some countries in Europe I have seen the eggs kept on counters in markets ...they never refrig their eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by