how long before hens start laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eagle227, Dec 18, 2014.

1. eagle227

eagle227 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    I have 15 Buff Orphingtons and 10 New Hampshire Reds that are 22 weeks old and none of them are laying yet. How old are they when they start laying?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Where are you located? The expected onset of production can be impacted by whether you are in an area currently experiencing winter or summer. Can you post photos of the birds? We can then see and assess the visual cues that can indicate how close to production a bird might be. Are you seeing any signs of them nearing production such as the submissive squat? Were they sourced from a hatchery or a private breeder's stock?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. eagle227

eagle227 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    I bought them from a hatchery and received them on July 22, I have noticed some of them scratching to make like a nest and laying and looks like they are squatting.

4. AnnieE

AnnieE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    My black sex links were born in April and started laying around mid-September. So, 24 weeks or so? I would think that unless something was wrong, i'd just wait a little longer. They're probably fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by