How long before I should just eat them?

Ilona

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Got my hens a week ago two of them are 1.5 year old and one is 9 months, they have lots of food, get oyster shells, oatmeal, tomatoes, and laying feed seem happy(one is getting over uri) still no eggs. How much longer before eggs come? Btw I will not be eating my hens I am vegetarian
wink.png
and they are my pets

welcome-byc.gif

sometimes moving to a new home will stress them. I would give them a few more days to adjust to their new home.

Last edited:
I bought 3 1.5 year old RIR and 2 Laced Wyndottes that were 2 years old. First, all but 1 has never laid and second I think the person that sold them to us either lied about their age or he didn't really know himself. All 5 are going to freezer camp on Friday. They are big, mean and FAT!, no more freeloaders
lol.png

That's just us though, live and learn, I will keep with getting chicks or pullets then I'll know how old they are!

That's what I am thinking, there will be no eggs.... one of them the "9 month old" looks kinda young, the other ones not so young, problem is that we won't eat them but we do want to have eggs, so not sure what to do

If it's any consolation, I had three dominique pullets I raised from eggs. Just at the end of July all three started laying, I thought. Well, I didn't know which was laying what as I never caught a specific one in the box. So, I had to downsize and sold two because I can't afford to feed them all. Now it's been a week and guess what? No dominique eggs at all from the only one I kept.
roll.png

x2 on the stress halting egg laying for a time. And hens also want to lay in a quiet secure place where they feel safe. Re-look at the nest box and make sure it is dark and private.

Probably doesn't help that I open the coop to catch one hen to give her a antibiotic shot, I guess she won't be laying for a while but I am thinking it stresses the other ones too. I just need to stop thinking about eggs for now. Plus even if I find an egg I won't know if it comes from hen that is on antibiotics in which case I shouldn't even eat them for 4 weeks. And on top of that giving shot to a chicken sux. So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom