how long before pure eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, Nov 19, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    will seprate my blrw roo with my hens how long before the eggs will be pure,they have been in a mixed pen

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Generally, sperm lasts about 10 days. If mated by a second rooster usually the fresher sperm is the sire of progeny. Of course there is no absolute, and sperm has been known to last 3 weeks or more.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    To be absolutely sure, never simply replace one cock with another, even after 10 days. Chances are the original will still pop up in the offspring, even if you've waited 2 weeks.

My safe limit is always 4 weeks, and even then with some I can still have random chicks pop up with the previous genes. Quite irritating, honestly.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have always been told 30 days.....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I always wait a minimum of 4 weeks.

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    After 3 weeks there is still a 5% chance that sperm from the first Roo is still fertilizing eggs. That drops to less then 2% at 4 weeks.

I always wait 4 weeks from the time the first Roo was removed. That has always worked for me.

Matt

7. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I waited a full 3 weeks last spring - got some very funny colored birds from the eggs I collected the first week. This year, I'm waiting 4 weeks - just to be sure.

8. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    thanks spring should be nice breeding for me,my chickens that is I am all done breeding thank goodness

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by