how long before roo gets tot he age of .... and you have fetrile egg ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchicks, Nov 7, 2011.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    hello

i have a roo ( we all decided that in an earlier post) he is now about 13 weeks old

how long before he decides he likes the ladies?

and what do i do about the eggs as they may be fertile?

i pick eggs up everyday ( when they decided to start again) so if i stick them straight into the fridge this is ok and you can eat them when your ready?

i ask as my mum is being squeemish about the idea, ive told her there's no difference from what i have read but shes being the squemish one at the moment so i think a little reasurenceis needed so if she can read this it may help !!

thank you in advance for your help and wisdom

2. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    My boy was pretty slow to romance the ladies, he was 6 months! We eat fertilized eggs all the time. I do not taste any difference whatsoever, I too pick them up daily and put them in the frig. The only difference in the look of them is the bullseye dot in the yoke, but once you put them in the pan, no difference in taste, at least to us!!

3. schumanw

schumanw Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Jacksonville
    My understanding is that refrigeration stops the development of an embryo completely. So, if you collect your eggs daily and refrigerate them immediately, you will never see any sign of embryo development.

I got six chicks last April, and one turned out to be a rooster. I started collecting eggs and NOT refrigerating them on Sept 20. The hens and rooster were approximately 21 to 22 weeks of age at the time. The Hens had been laying for three weeks. I collected 29 eggs. Thirteen hatched. Four had completely developed chicks with fur, but they never broke out the shell. I will pay closer attention next time.

Hope this give you a time line of what to expect.

Bill

4. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    [​IMG]

Absolutely no reason to shun the fertilized eggs. My understanding is that the embryo begins to devellop when the hen starts to incubate them--which is why eggs laid over several weeks all hatch 21 days AFTER the hen starts to set.

There's no difference in the taste of the eggs. Until they're incubated, there's no chick there, just the potential for a chick. The hen *must* begin incubating before the embryos can start to form.

As for when your roo decides to get interested in the ladies, that's anyone's guess! My girls were actually more interested in my roo than he was in them for about three weeks! He'd walk over to them, they'd crouch for him, and he'd look at them like, "What in the world are you girls doing?" It was so funny!

Keep in mind that when your roo does feel inclined that way, that's when any agressive tendencies towards you begin to show up. Nip those in the bud, and you'll likely have a very well-behaved boy. There are some great posts here about how to keep your rooster in line. One in particular about a "boxing match" that left me in tears of laughter for five minutes!

Enjoy your chickens, and tell your mom to enjoy those eggs!

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Our boy was frisky at an early age. Though the year old hens didn't coddle to him for some time after these non courting advances he still tried and succeeded much to his chagrin as they chased and pecked him back into his place.

All our eggs are fertile, no worries.

6. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank you all

i will let her know - hopefully she will get over it and learn to just eat them ! [​IMG]

i will take a look at the boxing match as i am surei will laugh to

at the moment our little roo runs away at the slightest thing and hates me being out he runs for cover and is too scittish to even get a treat

it was tidy up day on saturday !!!

7. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Was at the store yesterday & ran into a lady looking through eggs, to find a carton that did not have any broken eggs in them. I told her she needed to have hens & get her own fresh eggs, I told her how my hens shells were so firm you really had to give it a good wack to crack them. She said she did not eat fertile eggs, funny thing is, I never said I had a roo. So was she under the impression that farm chickens all laid fertile eggs?

My roo is 6 months old, been "Randy" for 2 months. Some of the hens eggs have the bullseye, some don't. I pick them up from minutes to a couple hrs after they have been laid & off to the fridge they go. I too taste no difference, I just love the bright orange yolks. Yummmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by