How long before she will lay?

doodledoo

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Cartersville, GA
First I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this board. I have learned so much about chickens. I do however have one question...we got a couple of hens over the weekend and the lady we bought them from said that they were both laying. How long does it usually take them to get adjusted to a new home and start laying again? They had been in a run with a roo so I am hoping to get some fertile ones for hatching.

You can't tell for sure. Moving is a big stress and can put them off laying for a few days, a few weeks or a few months. I hope they start up for you very soon. Remember lots of good feed, clean water and some good treats and they should settle in and be back at it in no time.

When I brought girls home from an auction one time, I think it was around 5 days - 1 wk before the 4 of them all were laying again, but as was stated, I imagine it varies by each bird.
Kristi

I also got hens that were laying. First batch of nine the lady told me 5 of them where laying. got 2 eggs the next day skipped a day with no eggs, then got 2 or 3 eggs a day after that. Then I got 5 more hens from a different lady. they will be a year old in may. Started then getting anywhere from 4 to 7 eggs a day. I have only went one day without a egg. I also mixed two flocks together. So I am getting much more than I thought. I guess every hen is different. Is it really cold where you live. I read alot of that, it being cold slows them down.

Erica

ps Welcome:D

Back
Top Bottom