How long before they can be together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Acre of Blessings, May 6, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    In my coop I have divided an area so that the big chicks (6 & 8 week olds) are seperated from the smaller chicks (2 & 3 week olds). Every so often a bigger one gets in with the smaller ones but doesn't bother them and every so often one of the smaller ones flies to the top of the seperation and gets in with the bigger ones but they seem not to bother with them.

My question is.....when can or should I take down the divider? They have been this way for about a week now.

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can take the devider down when the babies are 6 to 8wks.its pretty clear they are used to eachother.you just want them pretty close to the same size.so they dont get picked on to bad.

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I have three 6 week olds, two 4 week olds, and one 3 week old. At first I had the 3 oldest in one brooder and the 3 youngest in their own then I put both brooders in the coop. First I let out the oldest 3 and put the other chicken wire brooder on the floor where they would be eye to eye with each other. I left it like this for about a week then I cut a hole just big enough for the little ones to come out into the coop with the others if they wanted. It only took a couple of days then I took the whole side off the brooder because I had 2 heat lamps in there 1 for the older ones and 1 above the brooder for the little ones but every morning when I go to feed and turn on the lights they were all roosting together. So I hope this helps you.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thanks for the input. I think I might leave it like this until I just can't keep them in anymore. What do you think about that? I also have one still inside that got all her tail feathers plucked out. When would be a good time to reintroduce her to the group?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by