How long before they "expire"?

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
I'm starting to get enough eggs per day to start selling them. I have a lot of people asking me "how long are they good for?"

Anyone know the answer? I know that the ones at the store are pretty old, should I assume that if they eggs are refrigerated that they will last up to a year?

TIA!
Kelly

I usually reason that if a hen can wait 10 days to sit on eggs and then hatch them in 21, a food egg can keep for at least a month outside if not washed. My mom used to store eggs outside when she was in china and never had a problem with it. I say tell your cutomers that they will be good for at least a month to 6 weeks.

I asked that same question.. I read alot of websites and the ones I read said refrigerated they will be good for 30 days.. and for every day they are not refrigerated is equal to one week in the fridge..

however..

My dad also said that when he was growing up they never put them in the fridge.. I also have some customers that doesnt want them refrigerated..

Last edited:
Shoot, if every day out of the fridge is one week... And I've stored eggs outside for a few weeks, you could keep eggs in the fridge for months! I say just say 6 weeks refridgerated, and less if they have been washed. I figure as long as it doesnt stink, it's sterile inside and won't hurt you. They just dry out.

I figure as long as it doesnt stink, it's sterile inside and won't hurt you. They just dry out.

Also if your not sure you can put the eggs in a bowl of water and if the eggs floats they are bad.

Good eggs sink.​

I read the niftiest thing a couple of years ago; it went something like this:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
Place eggs in bowl.
If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thouroughly cooked.
If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start piviting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
When completly upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thouroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, ect.)
Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidise; This might explain the whole floating egg method. Anyway, I use this method all the time and it hasn't failed me.

Quote:
Thanks I'll Have to remember that.

Also I have had eggs in the fridge for at least 6 months and they were still good and we have keep them out of the fridge for weeks at a time

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the eggs you buy in the store are sometimes months old before they make it to you. Maybe not... I've had eggs for more than 6 weeks and they were still good.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom