how long before they stop eatind wood chips??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momto2, May 19, 2008.

1. momto2

momto2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Northern Maine
    My chicks hatched on Friday. I have paper towels over the chips for now. I was just wondering if I can let them on the wood chips or will they still try to eat them??

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I normally leave my chicks on the paper for about 6-7 days - I have heard of others removing it earlier....

3. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    Take the paper off an watch closely. Mine were poking at the shavings and spitting them out for about a day before they figured out that pine tastes bad. It was actually pretty funny [​IMG]

4. Johnnyboy922

Johnnyboy922 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2007
    illinois
    once my chicks dried off in the incubator last year i just put them straight onto the pine shavings. one of my friends who has raised hundreds of chickens turkeys geese and ducks in total was instructing me what to do and he didnt even bring up paper towels. ocasionally the chicks would peck at and maybe eat a few small pieces but no real problems arose. if you give them a better tasting alternative like hard boiled egg yolks made slightly pasty with a few drops of water then they will eat that instead of wood.

they will figure out wood isnt food eventually

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of my first "mistakes" when starting with my chicks was to not put paper towels down over the bedding. By the time I thought about it they were two days old. As I was observing them I noticed that yes, some of them did pick up the flakes, but they spit em right back out. When I mentioned to my (former chicken farmer) SO that I needed to put paper towels down he looked at me as if I was crazy. In the end I never used the paper towels and my chicks did just fine. I don't know if the fact that I use large flake pine shavings made a difference or not, but I don't think so.

6. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    It wasn't until I joined this site that I ever heard of putting down paper towels. Had them down for 2 days with this batch, then removed them and all was well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by