How long before we can move our ducks outside?

momd29

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
166
3
83
Waterloo, South Carolina
I have 2 Pekin ducks that are about 3 weeks old. They are growing excessively and almost outgrowing our brooder that we have them set up in. We're also having major issues with them mucking in their water and creating disastrous messes in the brooder. We are having to clean the brooder daily :( When can we move them from the brooder to the outside safely?
 

GreatPyrLover

Songster
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
195
3
108
Hillsborough, NC
As long as nothing can get them I would boot them out....I just had three hatch under a hen and they have been out the whole time...they are now 2 1/2 weeks old and they wonder around the yard with mom now...they even tried to swim in the rain puddle this week
th.gif
I am playing with fire letting them out like that, so I try to only do it when I am home so that I can watch them.
 

Tahai

Songster
8 Years
Dec 18, 2011
474
19
141
North-Central Pennsylvania
Hi, Momd29.

Because you only have 2 ducklings to generate body heat, a heat lamp at night would be best for another week or so, if you can. If not, if you give them a deep straw or hay bedded nest to snuggle together in, you should be OK. According to your 10 day forecast, your upcoming night-time lows are in the high 50's to mid-60's.

I live in upstate PA, night temps are in the mid-40's to 50's right now. I booted my 16 ducks to the duck house last week (4 weeks old). I had to use the heat lamp 2 nights, when the temps went below 45, but other than that, they don't need it any more.

Just to be clear, you are talking about moving them to a duck-house/secured and covered run, correct?

Tahai
 

momd29

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
166
3
83
Waterloo, South Carolina
Yes, I am talking about moving them to a covered and secured pen. I wouldn't dare just set them out. I have too many stray dogs in the area to allow that. I'm just worried because they are only about 3 weeks old and outgrowing the brooder that I have them in already. I guess I'll wait a week or so and see how the temps are and decide then on what to do.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom