How long before.....

wildturk

Hatching
May 24, 2015
So i had a chick pip (chicken) last night he made a hole at the pointy end of the egg about dime size and has not made any further advancement could he have possibly kicked a little hard and broke the egg at that point? I do see movement in the membrane but i guess what i am getting to here is how long before you would intervene and help with the hatch egg is at 19 days today temp steady 99.5 throughout the hatching humidity brought up when turner came out and is at 73% dry bulb.

Last edited:
It's under the membrane and you can't see the chick? That seems a little odd, it should have broken through the membrane at the pip area. If the membrane isn't dry then leave it be. It can take 24 hours for them to zip and hatch after the first pip.

When you say 73% dry bulb does that mean your using wet bulb method to calculate relative humidity? Meaning about 8 degrees difference in temperature.

I am calulating via wetbulb versus drybulb temps, I also have a digital one in there as a backup method but i hate depending on a digital anything as they break if it breaks then i know i have faith in old time methods. And it did break the membrane but i can't see the chick. The odd thing is it broke through the wrong side of the egg then i am used to seeing. I have never seen this and thus it brings me here.

Chicks that pip at the wrong end of the egg usually find their way out it just takes them longer. Hopefully there has been some progress since this morning? What is the situation now?

You have not gotten an answer yet? How long have they been pipping? Are they still moving? It seems like it has been a few days which would be too long. I would help them at this point. How long have they been pipping and how vigorous do they seem.

Back
Top Bottom