How long before.....

Sometimes I help them. 2 days I would be helping them. It is tricky. I take an egg out and put on glasses and put it under a light. Using a tweezer, I pick away the shell from the outer areas of the pip.... and I try to go in the direction the chick would have/should have. You have to be very very gentle and careful. Some of the people on here are much more expert than I am. Along this track, you might find the blood vessel. In that case, I would reverse direction and try to zip the other way until all the way around and let the chick get out itself when possible. It has an umbilicus attached to the membrane inside the egg and you do not want to pull or damage any of that.... I would work in the same way the chick would.... zipping around the top.

It can be done, but you really have to be careful, and sometimes it does not work out. I have successfully broken a bunch of them out, but you have to be very very careful.
I would maybe keep a bit of warm water available just to moisten the situation if needed. Do not drown the chick. I might put a drop on its tongue though. Depending.

Sometimes I help them. 2 days I would be helping them. It is tricky. I take an egg out and put on glasses and put it under a light. Using a tweezer, I pick away the shell from the outer areas of the pip.... and I try to go in the direction the chick would have/should have. You have to be very very gentle and careful. Some of the people on here are much more expert than I am. Along this track, you might find the blood vessel. In that case, I would reverse direction and try to zip the other way until all the way around and let the chick get out itself when possible. It has an umbilicus attached to the membrane inside the egg and you do not want to pull or damage any of that.... I would work in the same way the chick would.... zipping around the top.
I will try that. We have had some 100-105 degree days lately. Could that have hurt them?

I think dryness is your enemy here. You want the chick moist so things do not stick. If things are already stuck, use moisture to remove, don't just try to peel it off.

I try to get it so that the cap is only secured by the part with the blood vessel, if that is an issue. do not rupture the blood vessel.... you might work on it a bit, to get it going and then replace it with it's mother again.... You want to make sure the egg is ready to hatch. The chick will not die if it still has yolk and blood supply, but there is a point where this ends and the chick has to transition.

Back
Top Bottom