How long can a hen be egg bound?

3 chickens

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
I have a 1 year old White Star that was attacked by a fox over two weeks ago and is no longer laying eggs. She laid one the day after attack and nothing since. She lays in the hen box for quite a while each day as though she's trying to lay an egg. She is acting completely normal otherwise, eating running etc. I gave her a warm bath and lubricated her vent, but that didn't help. Any ideas of what could be wrong and if she is egg bound what else could I do to help. Thx

She likely stopped laying due to stress but if you suspect she is bound you can do another thing. You can give her a human calcium pill or a calcium glutenate shot. At the vet when they are bound they give them the calcium shot. Either the pill or shot helps them lay. The calcium does this for them. I believe you can find calcium glutenate injectable at the feed store. Its usually under the name theracalcium but make sure the ingredients are calcium glutenate. If you can't find that just give her a human calcium pill. this should do the same thing. You can also try a warm relaxing bath. That might help too.I wish you the best. Hope this helps

Thank You, I will try the calcium pill as well as another warm bath perhaps right before egg laying time. I am just scared that if there is an egg it could break at any moment and then she'll go down fast.

Well, I no longer think she is egg bound. It has been at least month since my White Star was attacked by a fox and quit laying eggs. It was two and three weeks ago that she received a couple of warm baths and inserted KY lubricant into her vent. She is happy and healthy otherwise, feathers are growing in wonderfully. I wonder if she will ever lay again?

Back
Top Bottom