How long can a hen "hold the goods"?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I have a hen that is giving me fertilized eggs... but I want her to mate with a specific rooster.

How long can a Hen hold the sperm from the rooster she is with now?...
How long should she and the roo be separated from the flock to insure she is giving me eggs that are just his?

DH wants to cross his grey silkie/EE hen with his polish roo and hopefully get a polish that lays blue eggs...

we just have pet chickens so he wants to have fun with it... i do know the silkie will make a great momma tho

I have HEARD a couple of weeks.....but I would go a minimum of a MONTH away from any other rooster, IF this were MY project.

No doubt...someone with actual practical experience will comment and guide you in the correct direction (time) here.

just throwing in what I've picked up reading....
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:
ep.gif
wow...

should i keep her by her self or keep him with her for the 3 weeks?

I am thinking keep the 2 together for company and also so he gets to think he is top dog os the breeding room (really its the basement but breeding room sounds better..lol )

It might be fun to put her with the new rooster, and then date the eggs -- hatch them all after the first week, and check to SEE how long the "old" rooster fathered chicks, and how soon the NEW rooster did...since you're doing it for fun anyway.

farmin'chick :

It might be fun to put her with the new rooster, and then date the eggs -- hatch them all after the first week, and check to SEE how long the "old" rooster fathered chicks, and how soon the NEW rooster did...since you're doing it for fun anyway.

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! dont put ideas in his head... lol​

Back
Top Bottom