How long can a turkey survive with blackhead? Can they recover?

Roree-23

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
So, we bought 10 turkeys two weeks ago and we have lost 7 of them to blackhead within the first few days. I have no idea where they got it from, we bought all new things for their run and they are a long way from any chickens.
Anyway, we have now got three turkeys clearly infected with blackhead as they have yellow poop. Four days ago they were looking very sick and now they are looking ok, they chase after each other and seem quite active.

Can this mean they have recovered? Or are they just taking longer to die from it? All the others were gone within 6 hours of first symptoms. And one of them has poop which is almost brown again now...

Sorry for the loss of your turkeys. Black head isn't anything I have direct experience with so while you are waiting for someone with the knowledge that you do need, might I suggest reading the old posts by using the search feature as it seems to be one of the most common problems with turkeys.

Good luck!

Good idea, thanks!
smile.png

i don't think its black head... how old are they? where did they come from? the yellow poop is a sign of starvation mode apparently, from when the bird is using stored fat or the like in oppose to digesting food. True it happens in black head, but i've been told its also seen in stress cases as well, anything that would cause a turkey to go off food.

The only way to know for sure if its black head is to necropsy it after it dies. That what i did with mine. The remaining ones were dosed with metronidazole and have made full recoveries.
Good luck, and i'm glad to hear they are on an upswing

Back
Top Bottom