how long can an injured chicken not eat?

Thanks alot JJ. That makes me worry less...

I offered her uncooked egg yolk, and she ate a bit of it drizzled over some layer crumble voluntarily. Also put quite a bit of it on her beak and let her sip drops of it. I'll try yolk and cornmeal tomorrow. Yellow items seem to interest her.

I will also find the vitamin drops next time I'm in town.

I followed the chart I posted and used 1 aspirin in a cup of water (~250ml) which is a higher aspirin concentration than is usually recommended here. Might try the pediatric ibuprofin suspension if I can find it at the drugstore.

Quote:
The med info you posted is interesting - the first time I've seen ibuprofin recommended. I would be inclined to stick with aspirin until/unless the use of other pain relief can be confirmed by a well known source as okay. From what I've been learning, the aspirin dose you used may be okay.
To keep her from getting too weak I would start her on the Polyvisol right away.
Do you have neosporin on her external wounds? Any chance of deeper puncture wounds that might require oral or injectible antibiotic? (I'm not familiar with the nature of her injury)
JJ

Last edited:
I think I am going to buy the book that has the chart in it. The chart printed in it is referenced from:

Veterinary Clinics of North America Avian Pet Medicine Reference

http://books.google.com/books?id=U8...lincs+of+north+america+exotic+animal+practice

Looks like it's a veterinarian's reference book, and since I am in a remote area and there are not any avian vets it would be nice to have on hand...

I have been treating the external dog bite wounds with betadine, and occasional neosporin. Have not found any deep puncture wounds, but one of the bites went into her vent area so I have to assume there could be deeper damage. No sign of a puncture wound, but I am wondering if there's possibly a broken or retained egg inside of her causing trouble.
sad.png

A possum got into our hen house 2 nights ago and bit our lovely Iris on her head. I believe she has lost her left eye and has a small injury near her ear. I put her in a portable cage in the house (plastic table cloth under the cage) and today she is standing, moving around a little and took a little water. I plan to keep her quarantined for 10 days in case that horrid possum was rabid or otherwise diseased and to make she is healed. What else shall I do? I plan to try the asprin/water. Will the other chickens accept her back? Sorry to post this as a reply. could not figure out how to make a new one.

karen&mark, if you haven't done so already, start a new thread about your hen. The thread you are posting in is about a year and a half old and may not get the visitation that you hope. (But re: the quarantine, I think NOT necessary re: the opossum, but good for giving her calm, quiet healing time. It may be a good idea if you can have her in a nice sized cage out with her buddies for at least some of each day, so you have fewer or no reintro problems. Do give her some pain relief with the aspirin water, quickly - -poor little one).

BC, I wonder if your hen made out okay?!?!?!
fl.gif
Any chance you'll see this eons after the fact?

JJ

Back
Top Bottom