How long can eggs be kept before incubating?

I just candled them. 4/10 of mine are developing. The oldest out of those was 14 days old when I set them. I have one that's 1 day behind the others, so I'm gonna check that one again a few days later.

8/9 of the shipped eggs are developing. It's the first time that shipped eggs are doing better than my own eggs. I'm not complaining, cause I guaratee that I will have broody hens when it's warmer. I can always hatch more chicks from my hens with them later.

I got 2 egg cartons from 2 different stores that sell local eggs (and I have hatched from before.). one one carton was fertile, +1 from the non-fertile eggs. 13 started to develop, and 2 were blood rings. I have 11 fertile on day 8. I just bought more eggs from the fertile egg group, yesterday. Air cells look fine. I put them, still in their carton, but in a loose plastic bag in my mudroom that is colder. I want to warm them to room temp and set on Thur. (Not in same incubator, I will not stager cold eggs with already developing eggs.)

(Not in same incubator, I will not stager cold eggs with already developing eggs.)
I've heard people saying not to stager "cold" eggs with developing eggs. What exactly does it mean? I know what staggering means I just don't get the cold part. Is that just a way of saying eggs that haven't started the incubation process?

its just hard for me anyway, to deal with multiple processes .. new hatches have to be seperated, the bator stays on a long time and its more time watching it, etc .. a day or two is no big deal . adding eggs periodically over a couple of weeks will be a logistical nightmare lol ..

A staggered hatch can be a challenge because you have times when some eggs need turned while others don't. You also have different humidity requirements for chicks who are piping and chicks just beginning to develop. Sometimes compromises can be made to give everyone the best chance of hatching.

I got 2 egg cartons from 2 different stores that sell local eggs (and I have hatched from before.). one one carton was fertile, +1 from the non-fertile eggs. 13 started to develop, and 2 were blood rings. I have 11 fertile on day 8. I just bought more eggs from the fertile egg group, yesterday. Air cells look fine. I put them, still in their carton, but in a loose plastic bag in my mudroom that is colder. I want to warm them to room temp and set on Thur. (Not in same incubator, I will not stager cold eggs with already developing eggs.)
That's really interesting 🤔 👍

Yes, there’s a good chance. People have stored them for 2 or 3 weeks or more, with successful hatchngs, but they say the hatch rate decreases. Since this is your situation, however, I’d say go for it. I turn mine once a day.
Good luck!!!!
Yes, my eggs were over 2 weeks old and kept in fridge andsome over 3 weeks they are now hatching.

The closer to ideal conditions you can store the eggs the longer they remain viable. Ideal conditions are around 55 degrees F (13 C) and high humidity (around 80%). Try to avoid heating and cooling cycles. Avoid a wind blowing on them, like a heating or AC vent. Very few of us has anything close to that but just do the best you can. I don't have conditions close to those and still do well if I keep them a week.

If you are familiar with baseball you will never get a hit if you don't swing the bat. In basketball you do not score any points if you don't shoot the ball. Will those eggs hatch? If you put them in the incubator they might or might not. Eggs can hatch even if they have not been stored in ideal conditions even if stored for a long time. If you don't incubate them they will never hatch.

Turning the eggs increases the chances of them hatching, especially if you are storing them for a long time. Even if you don't turn them they can still hatch but your odds drop some. You don't need to turn them every 2 hours, three times a day should be enough. If you want to five times a day is enough.

I would turn them every day and if you have room in the incubator I'd set them, no matter how they were stored.
Definitely, i was turning eggs teice a day and kept them in hay and didnt let room temperature drop below 19 Celsius.

First chick hatched from a 12 day old egg. Another from a 10 day old egg has pipped. The rest of the eggs aren't as old.

I'm not complaining, cause I guaratee that I will have broody hens when it's warmer. I can always hatch more chicks from my hens with them later.
Welp, a hen went broody a couple days ago. I gave her 10 eggs to sit on.

Back
Top Bottom