1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long can eggs go with no heat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roostersandhens, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hi! i have a broody hen. she has been sitting on eggs for a 16 days how long do you think the eggs could go with no heat from my broody hen? please reply as soon as you can
    Thanks!

2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Why is the hen no longer sitting on the eggs? How long has it been since she got up? She may be just getting a drink and food. It's the natural cooling process.

Hope I helped!
    [​IMG]

3. she is on the eggs! i just am curious to know how long and i need to know because i need to force her to take a break if i do not she will not eat or drink i just need to know how long her break can be but thanks anyway!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    She will get down and eat, drink and poop as needed. It will be very infrequently but you do not need to force her to do it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. ok i just read in a book that u need to

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Broodies don't eat or drink much, so they sometimes don't get up for a day or 2. Put food and water near her, but not to close. Just so she can see it, but need to get up to get to it. This will encourage her. Don't be tempted to feed her o the nest though. This may cause her to relieve herself on the nest and it will mess up the eggs.

It takes awhile for the core temperature of the eggs to drop, so she can stay off the eggs for quite awhile without harming them.

7. ok the eggs are going to hatch in 2 days anyway

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by