How long can Eggs remain at high temps before their a loss?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by artathart, Apr 7, 2011.

1. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I have been having sooooo much trouble with my LG incubator. Watched temps all night. Didn't go to sleep until 7:30 this morning. Temps held at 100.6 all night. Slept in till 3:00 this afternoon and woke to 103.5 temp and lor only knows how many hours it was that high. So my question is this.....

How long can eggs stay above 102 before they are cooked? How soon will I know if they are no good? Its day 7 for me.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:A long time. Keep cooking and have hope- I had a spike of 108 once, and the eggs felt hot...but they hadn't gotten too hot inside, I guess, as I had a good hatch.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Its over 103 thats bad an at 103.5 it would take a long time for the eggs to warm up internally to 103 then still take a while before it hurt anything.

4. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    Thank God. I candled a few since it was so hot int here and I needed to remove the lid and I still have eggs with veins and black dots. Just hope they dont stop growing :-(

5. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    You still have a good shot for a hatch, especially if they're ok right now.
    I've had worse spikes that for I don't know how long, and I've some chicks hatch each time. Don't worry.[​IMG]

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

you have to be OVER 104 *F to start harming proteins/DNA, now the eggs heat up and cool down slowly so some time up to a couple hours over that is possible not harmful.

YMMV

7. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    My house starts to heat up around 11-12:00 so I am sure it was 102-103.5 for a couple hours at least. Lets hope everyone is okay. I cannot see anything in my Welsummer and Maran eggs but most of my Americauna eggs seem fine as of right now. Thanks guys!

8. Texan Chick

Texan Chick New Egg

Apr 7, 2011
    Our incubator went to 117 degrees!!!!!!! for 20 minutes or less. Long story. It was on day 9. I candled on day 16 thinking I would be discarding ALL of the eggs. Instead I saw good looking embryos. Now, this very day, 4 of them have hatched and 18 more have pipped.
    I wouldn't worry too much!

9. aabbott

aabbott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    This is a hatching question- I have 12 eggs that were supposed to hatch this past Sunday- nothing as of yet- no peeps- but I candled 3 and was sure I saw movement within. How long can the eggs stay in the incubator? It seems as though the chicks are plenty happy hanging out... and not wanting to come out.... I am getting nervous as it is day 23 and nothing is emerging- I plan on hanging on until day 25- but how long can they actually stay if they are living??? Make sense?

10. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I had one hatch this last weekend 7 days late.. I let the temps stay at around 94 -95 during incubation with only a few eggs in there, it was a new incubator, and they staggered in hatching from about 3 days late to 1 full week late.

Candace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by