1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can eggs sit outside before going bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eldondo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Eldondo

Eldondo New Egg

Jan 4, 2011
    I have taken to letting our hens free-range, and I have found that I am now engaged in a game of hide-and-seek the eggs with them. It appears as though I've got anywhere between 6-8 different nesting areas throughout the yard. When I find a new nest, there is usually about a half dozen eggs laid there, and I'm wondering if they are still any good? We are currently experiencing day time temperatures in the low to mid fifties, with an occasional jump up into the 60's (typical South Carolina winter weather). To this point, I've been tossing all these eggs out into the pond, not wanting to eat what might be a rotten egg, let alone open one up in the house. So I'd appreciate some advice along those lines. Thanks much. Best Regards, Don

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Just take a bucket of clean water to check the eggs. If they float they are rotten. If they sink to the bottom fast they are good. If they take awhile to get to the bottom toss them.

Unbroken eggs that don't get too warm - such as being sat on daily by a hen for hours and hours can stay fresh for 3 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. bcarson1486

bcarson1486 New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    North central Texas
    [​IMG]

This is why I was led to believe my girls have been holding out on me... I found 15 eggs here; now I must continue to seek out the hiding places...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by