How long can hens safely go without water??

I have new waters the buckets hang and have the water spouts on the bottom.today is the first day.I took the old water trough out.but they haven't discovered the new one yet.will they be ok without water til they figure out the new ones?

I had the same problem. I would keep their new water in the coop, and put the water that they usually use in only once or twice during the day. Adult chickens and teen ones are pretty hardy. It is okay to give water your chickens twice a day, and I even did it once. You need them to be in a state of thirst to learn a new water source, thats the trick. When they are thirsty walk into the coop and jiggle the spout/nipple to get the water out —if they're thirsty, they'll come over. It worked for me, should for you.

Wow
1f31d.png

Seriously though, it's below zero here and their water freezes quickly. If I give them fresh warm water in the morning and again in the afternoon will they be okay?
I can't run electric cords from the house because of my landlord's fear (rightfully so) of a fire.
Duh! I meant to write "below freezing".

Back
Top Bottom