How long can i leave the eggs???

10 days is the maximum, after that the chances of it hatching are slim. But I'd say ideally try to get them under her within a week. And store them at room temperature.

I try to have my eggs in the incubator or under the hen BY fourteen days. Once you hit two weeks, the hatch rates dramatically decrease day by day. I have hatched four week old eggs with somewhat decent results, though. Be sure you're turning them, even in storage!

Since I was very interested in this topic I did a little research last week.

The poultry papers that I read generally show graphs where viability greatly declines after 7 days. At 10 days it is still acceptable, but those held over 14 days have a pretty slim chance of hatching. This all assumes ideal storage conditions of 40-50F degrees, stable humidity and turning daily.

There have been experiments with applying temporary coatings on eggs to keep them viable longer, but they seem to either be too technical for home use or are not effective.

The "take away" from my reading was to keep the eggs cool and to turn them while in storage. And set them at most 14 days after laying.

Sort of. I would not turn them end-over-end during storage nor during incubation, as this causes the air cell inside to become less organized.

Either store them on their side and roll them 180 degrees daily or store them large end up in the carton and tilt them side-to-side 45 degrees maximum, once daily.

Store in a clean, cool, and mildly humid environment. Us "mere mortals" usually don't have the ideal storage environment like the poultry labs do, but we do the best we can.

Good luck!

Sort of. I would not turn them end-over-end during storage nor during incubation, as this causes the air cell inside to become less organized.

Either store them on their side and roll them 180 degrees daily or store them large end up in the carton and tilt them side-to-side 45 degrees maximum, once daily.

Store in a clean, cool, and mildly humid environment. Us "mere mortals" usually don't have the ideal storage environment like the poultry labs do, but we do the best we can.

Good luck!

O.K got it all, thank you. I hope they'll be fine and Ive got them point side down at the moment so ill just tilt daily.

Back
Top Bottom