eLiV8t

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
Has anyone tried to pick out certain eggs in order to get more or only pullets (hens or females)?
I'm testing this out.
I pulled out the eggs that looked pointed and kept the roundest eggs under my broody hen.
They started hatching yesterday and I hope this experiment works. Have you tried this?
How did it turn out?

20240514_164134.jpg 20240515_113927.jpg 20240515_113442.jpg 20240515_114631.jpg
20240515_112432.jpg

There was someone who did this a few weeks ago.
The shape of egg thing is a old wives tale. What the egg is, is actually what we call the yolk, the shape of the shell that encapsulates the yolk has everything to do with to state of the individual hens reproductive tract and none with the gender of the yolk.

Adorable babies! My experience and understanding comes down to the whole round egg thing being nothing more than an old wives tale.
My girls each lay a specific shape that is directly tied to them. One hen always lays extra large fairly round eggs, another always lays very long pointed eggs. I always know which egg belongs to which hen strictly based off of shape, even though they're all perfectly white.
The long pointed eggs hatch just as many hens and roosters as the large rounded eggs do.

Nevertheless, people still have fun experimenting with this method, I say have fun with the attempt! But I wouldn't bet on it being a sure thing. Do let us know how many hens you get though!

Back
Top Bottom