How long can I safely keep the eggs out for candling?

I'm not keen on candling and am sort of a wet blanket on that score. I admit it's neat and even informative. And it DOES give you something to do while you wait, but in general...

Candling is way overdone. How many hens do you know that do it?

I used to do it a lot. But then it hit me one day:
- If an egg is viable and is going to hatch, then so be it. No amount of candling can change that.
- If it is a dud and won't hatch, candling cannot change that, either.
- Contrary to common lore, as long as it isn't diseased, there is little need to "cull" it. It will add a thermal buffering effect, in fact, if you leave it in.

The worst time to candle is in the first 7 days. That is when the embryonic development is at it's most fragile. Ham-fisted handling during that time can spell disaster.

Two of the best reasons to candle are to monitor air cell development and inspect for disease growth and defects at setting. Peeking in to ogle the developing embryo's isn't on the list, although it's probably the MOST popular reason for candling.

Prissy has the right idea - If you're gonna do it, get in and get out. But if it takes five minutes or so, no big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh David, I am sooooooo glad to hear you say that.

I put 12 EE's and 16 Ameraucanas in the 'bator and decided not to even try to candle them. That means I won't even have to open the 'bator (except in a few minutes when I add 8 silkie eggs) until it's time to stop turning. Now, I didn't come to this decision because I thought candling was a bad idea, so much as because I realized I couldn't see into the darned EE and A eggs anyway, but.....I'm going with the "less is more" plan and I'm not even gonna candle those silkies.....or so I say now....

For the record, I will give them all a good sniff when I move them to the hatcher on Day 18 !!!

Susan

Well, thanks for all the answers!
smile.png

Gumpsgirl, thanks for posting that website, it's VERY informative.
smile.png
I saved it to my bookmarks.

I sure appreciate all the answers and y'alls insight, that don't candle. I don't even know if these eggs are all fertile, plus the temp went up to 106 last night for maybe a few hours.
sad.png
So I doubt I will have anything...

I'm all about non-intervention! But aren't we supposed to remove the "bad" eggs so they don't weep or explode and contaminate the other eggs?

I was going to candle this weekend but it will only be day 5-6, so maybe I'll wait a few more days. I would definitely like to candle all the eggs at least once during the incubation period. Is that not advised either?

I have several incubators. I candle all of my eggs once or twice during incubation. I candle first around day 7 to see what eggs are developing veins. Again on day 14 and remove any eggs that are not growing. I candle again on day 18 when I stop turning the eggs and let them rest in preparation for hatching.

As an experienced hatcher, yeah, I could let them go and never candle them but I have too much money in some shipped eggs and my incubators to let a bad egg explode and cause problems not only with the eggs that might hatch but also cause damage to my more expensive incubators and turners. I keep everything sanitized and in like new condition. One exploding egg with gunk getting into the finer parts of the electronic pieces leaves an area open for nasty bacteria to grow in the incubator and ruin it for other hatches. Not to mention the cost of replacing those pieces if needed.

Also - have you never smelled a rotted exploding egg?

I am not willing to risk it.

I'm all about non-intervention! But aren't we supposed to remove the "bad" eggs so they don't weep or explode and contaminate the other eggs?
Yes. If they are diseased, rotten etc, - and you can determine that - then it is prudent to remove them. And that is the best reason to candle - to inspect them.
My method is sort of a hybrid. I dont candle everyday, like some people, and I dont forget about it either. I've found that a couple of times in the course of a hatch is sufficient. Thus, I have a candler I made for pennies which gets infrequent use.

But you have to do what works for you. If you can't stand it and simply must candle at every turn, well, do it. If you are a worrier, concerned over "bad eggs," go ahead. There are no hard rules here.

I have found, though, that in all the hatches I've overseen, I've never had a rotten egg explode, or even weep. Smell bad, yes. Explode in a blast of icky egg goo? No.

In the end, it's about knowing whats going on in a way that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom