how long can the chicken lay fertile eggs after contact with rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by geesfarm, Apr 14, 2008.

1. geesfarm

geesfarm New Egg

Apr 14, 2008
    My rooster took off 6 months ago and was eaten by the coyotes. My big buff orpington hen just went broody, and I am wondering if there is any chance the eggs will hatch. I was going to just take them from her and give her some chicks at night time, but if there is a chance the eggs will hatch, I will leave them.
    Thanks

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    about two weeks, after that the fertility starts to go down quickly.

So, yeah... you'll need to take the eggs and either give her fertile ones or some babies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    2 weeks was the time limit for my girl. I bought her from a breeder and I collected the eggs every time she laid and put them in the incubator. After the two weeks they were clear. I did get 3 silkie babies out of them now for my new roo to start getting the job done.
    So either buy some fertile eggs from someone else or ler her sit on fake ones and after a little bit slip some babies under her.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    My DN asked me that last mothers day. Her illegal mexican neighbors across the street wanted her to 'lend' them her hen so their rooster could fertalize her eggs and they could both have chicks. She asked them how long/ many times she would have to take her over there. They told her once, and she will lay fertile eggs forever!! I told her NO WAY!!! Do NOT take your hen over there.

Monica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by