how long can u leave an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowirenut, Sep 4, 2011.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Checked the coop yesterday morning about 10 o' clock. 4 Eggs, someone is not doing there job. Went out with friends for lunch and BS'ing. When I returned about 4 hrs later I noticed an egg in the run. I am not concerned that it went bad in 4 hours though the heat was upper 90's. What I do have a question about is how long can they sit before they are uneatable? 2 days? depends on the weather?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    You can test it in a bowl of water. If it floats don't eat it. I don't really know though, I'm sure it will be fine. I'd probably do the float test, then eat it right away.

3. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm sure it's fine. It is really, really hot here in the summer and I usually only collect the eggs once a day around 2:30 pm when everyone has laid. The eggs are perfect and last for weeks in the fridge (I save them up for my sister who lives across the state and give her 5 or 6 doz when she comes to visit, otherwise they never last that long).

I think 2 days is safe when the weather is hot. I've left them for a weekend before when we have more moderate temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by