how long can u leave an egg

yellowirenut

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
New haven, IN
Checked the coop yesterday morning about 10 o' clock. 4 Eggs, someone is not doing there job. Went out with friends for lunch and BS'ing. When I returned about 4 hrs later I noticed an egg in the run. I am not concerned that it went bad in 4 hours though the heat was upper 90's. What I do have a question about is how long can they sit before they are uneatable? 2 days? depends on the weather?

You can test it in a bowl of water. If it floats don't eat it. I don't really know though, I'm sure it will be fine. I'd probably do the float test, then eat it right away.

I'm sure it's fine. It is really, really hot here in the summer and I usually only collect the eggs once a day around 2:30 pm when everyone has laid. The eggs are perfect and last for weeks in the fridge (I save them up for my sister who lives across the state and give her 5 or 6 doz when she comes to visit, otherwise they never last that long).

I think 2 days is safe when the weather is hot. I've left them for a weekend before when we have more moderate temps.

Back
Top Bottom