How long before eggs are full size?

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
I have 1 cockerel and 7 pullets ( 2 easter eggers & 5 barred rocks) and have been getting eggs for 2 weeks now. They have been small for the most part , I do not think I have gotten any from the easter eggers yet but did get 4 eggs yesterday. How long before the eggs will be full size?

:idunno I have one hen who has always laid small (<50 grams) or medium eggs (50-57 grams). She was the first layer. The girl who started next (by a week) lays large to extra-large.

I should never have named the first one "Little." She was the smallest chick, and lives up to her name even now, with her eggs. Oddly enough, she laid the largest egg I ever got, 74 grams. (Ouch.)

Usually, pullet eggs "size up" after they've been laying for a few months. All my other girls followed that pattern.

"A few months." There's no hard and fast rule. Generally egg size will continue increasing over the course of months though some birds lay unusually large eggs at the start (like double yolkers) while others may never really lay anything bigger than pullet size.

"A few months." There's no hard and fast rule. Generally egg size will continue increasing over the course of months though some birds lay unusually large eggs at the start (like double yolkers) while others may never really lay anything bigger than pullet size.
You say double yolker, I did get one the other day and I think the 2nd one today. I think they are coming from a easter egger ( kinda pink in color), which is crazy as the 2 easter eggers are the smallest in the flock laying the biggest egg.

You say double yolker, I did get one the other day and I think the 2nd one today. I think they are coming from a easter egger ( kinda pink in color), which is crazy as the 2 easter eggers are the smallest in the flock laying the biggest egg.
Yeah my EEs are fairly small, slim birds, but lay decent size eggs in relation to their body size. I have bigger birds that consistently lay smaller eggs.

Back
Top Bottom