How long could you sustain yourself and family?

I could sustain about 6 months ALONE.
But with my 2 dogs and cat, let's say I'd keep them and have to feed them also, maybe like 3 months? I am not really sure!

But even so, I'd probably be able to go above 6 months since I have a rooster and it can fertilize some eggs to grow more chicken. But.. then I'd need to continue to feed the flock and I'm not sure I could!

Of course. :)
martini-drinking-emoticon.gif
Actually that's what the pickled cranberries are for...so much yummier than the maraschino cherries. I've yet to try the pickled mushrooms in a drink. Maybe I should.

hum, pickled cranberries... as in vinegar based pickled? maybe sweet/sour type?
explain more.

hum, pickled cranberries... as in vinegar based pickled? maybe sweet/sour type?
explain more.

Yes vinegar based. You pickle cranberries with apple cider vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, etc. Makes a tangy, tart but also a bit sweet cranberry. I got the recipe from Food in Jars cookbook but I've seen it on various blogs on line as well.

They're excellent to add as a garnish in mixed drinks. I like them in just a bit of ginger ale or sparkling water, a splash of vodka, and a tablespoon of the cranberries including the vinegar juice.

They're also really good compliment to a cheese platter or over a baked brie.

Writing about these is making me want to go make myself a drink. Lucky I have a jar of these in my fridge...

OOHH, we're talking potables! Just in time for the holidays! I have 3 jars in my liquor cabinet containing ND everclear (190 proof). One jar has wild plums in it, one has crabapples with some sugar, one has chokecherries and lots of sugar. Make great cocktail additives or a very effective oral painkiller if you put one in your mouth straight up. When you're done with the fruit, you have wild fruit infused alcohol to make other cocktails with.

I also did an experiment making maple beer. Turned out awesome. Now I need to expand the maple syrup production this spring to compensate for using it on more than just pancakes! I also learned you can make shine from maple sap concentrate... just in case of course.

Last edited:
The fruit potables sound excellent. The wild plum sounds just the thing! I've made some nice homemade liqueurs with blueberries and high-bush cranberries but I tend to stain the fruit out after soaking a few weeks to get rid so the seeds and pulp.

Maple beer sounds interesting. Wish we had maple trees here.

I could sustain about 6 months ALONE.
But with my 2 dogs and cat, let's say I'd keep them and have to feed them also, maybe like 3 months? I am not really sure!

But even so, I'd probably be able to go above 6 months since I have a rooster and it can fertilize some eggs to grow more chicken. But.. then I'd need to continue to feed the flock and I'm not sure I could!

Well, the dogs can eat eggs & leftover chicken parts after processing the chickens. The cat can also eat leftover chicken parts. So there's something at least. :lol:

When we lose power, our dogs are our warning system for anything unusual. Dogs are definitely useful in those types of situations. The cat... well, I'm not so sure. I guess you could keep it to feed to the dogs if needed. :lau J/K

Hahaha that was funny :)

Yes, for real, I suppose that is what would happen. Yuk. I have a husky and a little cocker spaniel. The cocker is blind. I suppose she would have to go also :( But I wouldn't be able to. It is hard for me to imagine the moment I'd have to decide between eating and living or keeping my dog and I both alive and starving. I think, hope, that I would be able to hunt food or do whatever is needed. I am thinking of winter, because in summer there is food all around the garden! In winter, dogs also help to keep warm - if there is no electricity I mean.

This brings me to think about the homeless and their pets. I am an assistant vet. and we used to volunteer to give shots to the homeless' pets. The homeless were so grateful, you couldn't even imagine. Many of them told us that they used their money to buy dog food and they (the human) would eat out of trash. Their pets are their companions, their security and a little bit of warmth when it's cold.

I could possibly get rid of the cat, but my dogs... gee, that would be a really really hard decision!

Quote:
Maple beer?? Hey I have maples on my property!! And I make beer!!! Wow. This is the best beer idea I've read so far :D Thanks for the idea. If you ever want to share the details of how you did it, I would read.

Up to now, I've made beer with the hot peppers from my garden (Espelette) and also with herbs, but never maple.

Last edited:
I would have a hard time getting rid of my pets too. I don't think I could do it. Hope I never have to make that decision.

My sister used to live in a really old mobile home. She had a collie and a sheltie and used both as bed warmers during the winter. There were occasions where she "borrowed" the neighbors springer also - they just left the dog outside to run loose anyway, Yep, the real "three dog night" was when it was -10*F or below outside, which was about 55 in her house.

Back
Top Bottom