How long do baby chicks stay under momma at night time?

KRack

Crowing
Jan 18, 2022
PA
I have a broody hen currently laying on 6 eggs. I got them from a friend who has a rooster (I don't have a rooster), so I'm hoping some (if not all) of them are fertilized. Ideally I'd like at least 2 more hens out of this situation, but to be honest, I'm mostly doing this because it's an awesome homeschool experience for my young kiddos to observe.

I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with my coop to accommodate more chickens if I end up with more than two (my coop will comfortably fit 8, I currently have 6). So I'm trying to figure out how long I have if she successfully hatches more than I have room for 😅

How long do baby chicks stay under momma in the coop?

It depends. It depends on the weather, the hen's preference, and the chicks' preference. I have some hens who "wean" them at 3 weeks, some at 4, and one who babies hers until they’re around 8 weeks. Some will wean them earlier when the weather is warm, and keep them longer when it is cooler.
Also, I'd never suggest going with the minimum space. Extra space = a healthier, happier flock and less stress for you.

How many days along are the eggs? You can candle them to see how many are developing. This can be done by shining a bright flashlight into the egg to dee if you can spot veining, movement, or the chick.

A mother hen will normally mamma her chicks for about 5 weeks. Some mother them for longer or less, just depends.

Chicks can be removed from the broodies after they are dried. They can be brooder indoors like the chicks you would get from a feed store.
But why would you take them inside? The mother hen will provide heat, integrate them to the flock, and teach them all they need to know about being chickens. Plus, she went to the hard work of hatching them.
Thank you!! I guess I should aim to have something figured out by 2-3 weeks after they hatch, to be safe.

I've gone back and forth about coop space. They free range all day and only use the coop to sleep and lay eggs. While I would prefer to have something bigger long term so I can have more chickens, I haven't had any issues with 8 of them in the coop we have. There are two roosting bars and 4 nesting boxes.
It's always good to have a large run. I've free ranged at times, control ranged at other times, and sometimes had to keep them in, because of predators. Nowadays, with avian flu gaining headway, I'd say everyone should probably try and build a covered run.
A cheap alternative, depending on your weather is to buy a used dog kennel and convert it to a coop/run combo. It could be done by covering one entire side and two quarter sides with plywood siding, and then adding 1/2" hardware cloth, and a metal roof. You also need to frame in the door, so nothing squeezes in.

But why would you take them inside? The mother hen will provide heat, integrate them to the flock, and teach them all they need to know about being chickens. Plus, she went to the hard work of hatching them.
Sorry, I did not word my sentence correctly. If one does not have the space for a hen to safely brood her chicks, they CAN be moved inside.

Just checking that you have a plan if you end up with cockerels! You said you are hoping for two hens. Plan now if you don’t do you aren’t scrambling later! Good luck w your broody hatch!
Thank you!! This just occurred to me yesterday actually. 🤦‍♀️ I'd keep one roo, but we'd probably eat the other if there were no takers.

Sorry, I did not word my sentence correctly. If one does not have the space for a hen to safely brood her chicks, they CAN be moved inside.
I get it. I usually hatch them inside, myself and then put them under a hen outside. I have built in brooders though. I just open the doors three days after hatch and let mama and babies do their thing with the rest of the flock.

You can cheat in the summer, the chicks are tiny and really don't take up a lot of space. The day is long and the night is short. But come the fall, you have to make sure the flock fits the coop.

I am having a severe case of chicken math this spring... I have made countless decisions, who goes and who stays, how many old, how many brown egg, white egg, color egg...yada, yada, yada...but I will have it sorted by fall.

Even if they are only sleeping in the coop, you have to remember, here at least, they are roosting up by 4:00, and staying there till 7:00 am.

Mrs K

I have a broody hen currently laying on 6 eggs. I got them from a friend who has a rooster (I don't have a rooster), so I'm hoping some (if not all) of them are fertilized. Ideally I'd like at least 2 more hens out of this situation, but to be honest, I'm mostly doing this because it's an awesome homeschool experience for my young kiddos to observe.

I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with my coop to accommodate more chickens if I end up with more than two (my coop will comfortably fit 8, I currently have 6). So I'm trying to figure out how long I have if she successfully hatches more than I have room for 😅

How long do baby chicks stay under momma in the coop?
This started a few days ago. They would all lay under and around the hen. Now they’re roosting. They all want to be as close to her as possible. One fell off before the picture trying to jump on top of her. Five weeks old today.

Attachments

• 6BD93E9D-D8F0-4188-BA66-8C8D21B7CE45.jpeg
    6BD93E9D-D8F0-4188-BA66-8C8D21B7CE45.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom