How long do baby chicks stay under momma at night time?

Shes only been on them for 2 days now. I put them there 3 days ago but scared her off the nest entirely on the first day. :( So they went a long time without a hen on them. Like 8 hours, she did sit on them that night and has been on ever since. I was going to try to candle them just because I wasn't sure if any would develop from that first day of being cold?

Thank you for this advice!! Any idea how to get them out from under her to candle them without losing an arm? 😂
You should be able to see inside the eggs at day 10-14. I'd just reach under her and grab the eggs. Some hens will bite when you mess with them so wear a protective layer on your hands and arms if you have a biter. If you do scare her off, she'll go back to the nest.

You can cheat in the summer, the chicks are tiny and really don't take up a lot of space. The day is long and the night is short. But come the fall, you have to make sure the flock fits the coop.

I am having a severe case of chicken math this spring... I have made countless decisions, who goes and who stays, how many old, how many brown egg, white egg, color egg...yada, yada, yada...but I will have it sorted by fall.

Even if they are only sleeping in the coop, you have to remember, here at least, they are roosting up by 4:00, and staying there till 7:00 am.

Mrs K
That's true about them not taking up a whole lot of space at first. I didn't really think of that. I'd like a much larger coop, I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to go about that if I end up with more than 2.

You're right, I don't want them to be crammed while they're sleeping. They fit comfortably when there are 8, but she's on 6 eggs soo...decisions, decisions.

This started a few days ago. They would all lay under and around the hen. Now they’re roosting. They all want to be as close to her as possible. One fell off before the picture trying to jump on top of her. Five weeks old today.
Well isn't that just the cutest!!

Back
Top Bottom