How long do broad breasted female Turkeys live?

JJchiknshak

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2010
wellsburg, Wv.
I took her in as a rescue... She's already 2. Very mobile, zen bird.
IMG_20200826_100609_488.jpg

I took her in as a rescue... She's already 2. Very mobile, zen bird. View attachment 2308412
She has already beaten the odds. Most BBWs don't make it to 2 years old. When I raised them, I routinely had them live to 3 years old. Mine were either lost to predators or the tom killed them so there is no way to know how long they would have lived otherwise.

I have heard of a few that made it to 6 years old and one case of a former BYC member that managed to keep one special on alive until 9 years old. The vast majority do not make it to be 2 years old.

Lots of free range time and lots of exercise along with little or no treats can be helpful. Keeping her active will help more than anything else.

Annie and Pennie are a 18 months old, BBB. Pennie’s feet are swelled, but she hangs out with our standard bronze flock and keeps up with them. She never misses a chance to get a tomato when I toss it to her. She knows how to keep it away from the others. Annie is laying on a batch of Infertile guinea eggs.
We lost our Tommy boy in April, he was a year old and 60 pounds. That is when I bought the standard birds. At first the 2 older girls rejected the new babies, but now they realize that they are full grown turkeys. The toms are a bit taller than our older girls now.

I wondered the same thing, mine are 9 mos. The best info I found said usually 3-5yrs. They have great personalities, but my male is having feet issues. He is 60lbs and getting him off his feet to treat them has been a journey!

I wondered the same thing, mine are 9 mos. The best info I found said usually 3-5yrs. They have great personalities, but my male is having feet issues. He is 60lbs and getting him off his feet to treat them has been a journey!
Our male wasn’t showing any signs of problems. He ruled our property. Then after a hot day last spring, he didn’t want to go to the coop, and just sat by the water. My husband put him in the bed of the utv and we drove the 60 lb Tom to his coop. The next morning I opened the coop and he was dead. He was just a little over 13 months.
our other toms had to be put down because of leg problems. The first one, we separated from the flock and got him back to walking, but the other 2 toms just picked on him. When the next one had leg problems, he became our Thanksgiving dinner.
Having the younger standard bronze seems to energize Pennie. She is much more energetic with these guys. A bit on the dominant side, but we see them all hang together most of the day.

I was wondering this too. I have a hen who is goign in about 5 months, last time I weighed her she weighed in at about 21 pounds.I hope she stops, her feet are defiantly swelled but she runs and moves around fine, even occasionally jumps into he nest boxes to lay down.She also found a way to keep cool in the summer with all that body fat.
2DBD723A-9B0D-43F0-AA7C-59858E381207.jpeg

We have a pool just like that. The older girls love to stand in it, while the Standard Bronze just like to drink from it. I sunk it in the ground about 6 inches to make it easier to get into.

Back
Top Bottom