How long do eggs remain edible without refridgeration?

squeakyballs

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I always worry about how long the eggs have sat in the nest box before they make it inside and to the fridge. Does a count-down start once they have been laid? What if it is really hot outside? Or if the broody hen sits on it all afternoon?

I too would like to know how long can eggs stay in coop till collecting? We both go to work before they lay and get home late in the evening. It's getting hot here now, will the eggs still be good? thanks

Can't answer your questions specifically regarding if a broody sits on it, etc, but I never refrigerate my eggs, nor do I worry about them sitting in the nest box all day. In Tucson in July, though, those eggs might cook! I've been told that unwashed eggs can stay good for weeks at room temps. Mine never last that long, though!

I usually don't worry about eggs that a broody sits on as long as they're removed at the end of the day. I had a broody sit on some eggs for a few days, then decide to move to another nest box. Those definitely had to go in the trash.
sickbyc.gif

For regular eggs, I think they can last for several weeks stored at room temperature as long as they haven't been wiped off. If you rinse or wipe them off, it gets rid of the protective layer that is on them naturally.

Depends on the eggs, but unrefrigerated about 2-3 weeks. In the fridge, months.
It is not a problem if the eggs sit in the coop. If your eggs are fertile I would not want to crack open a developing egg into the frying pan. Lol! So I'd try to avoid that.
You can check the eggs for freshness using the float test.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/testingeggs.htm

Imp

thumbsup.gif
I'm not sure where the articule is here on BYC but it says that as long as the bloom has not been washed off the egg will last about three or four months on your kitchen counter. So no worries on them being out in the coop all day. If you have a broody hen I'm not sure. We check eggs several times a day. If there is no roo in with the hens I would think they would be just fine.

Quote:
did not see this on Mother earth, but I know it to be true. I only put my eggs in the frig. if it is 100 degrees outside and I don't have the a.c on inside and I am getting a couple of dozen a day...I can't eat them too fast so I put them in the frig. but always keep about 2-3 doz. on the counter.

If I have any question and don't use them to eat, I hard boil them and mash them to feed back to the hens. They go crazy over them!! It also returns the nutrients they lost back to their bodies. That way it wasn't a total waste. I also cook the frozen cracked ones in the winter in this way. I add cooked oatmeal and add the eggs. They are very spoiled girls!!

Back
Top Bottom