How long do hens stay broody?

I had a Buff Orpington go broody for about 5-6 weeks. I didn't do anything to break her, just kept taking her eggs (despite her squawks of protest). I didn't think she'd ever stop, but then, one day, she just hopped off the nest and rejoined the flock.

Ours was broody in the winter too, and just as an FYI (I have no idea what things are like where you are), our broody girl did end up with some Northern Fowl Mites while she was sitting around and not dust bathing like the others. She's all good now! Keep an eye on your girl just in case!
We live in Australia, Victoria and it's winter right now :p

When my hens go broody I just put them in a wire dog crate for about three days. They will act agitated bc they want to be on their next but settle down after the first day and after three days try letting her out see if she goes back if she does give her a few more days in time out. She'll get over it

My broody chicken was laying on eggs for 25 days and they never hatched. We want to try again while she is still broody, but aren't sure if she'll quit in the middle of this batch!
fl.gif
Do you have any advice?

I have an eight month old hen that I believe has gone broody. She stopped laying eggs and just sits in the box on the daily egg that my other hen lays. She let's me take her out of the nest to get the egg. And she is all fluffy and puffs her feathers. She is very sweet and doesn't seem agitated. She still lets me hold her and pet her too. We do not want any baby chicks right now so should I just wait it out? Will she start to lay again when this is over?

I have 3 hens that occasionally go through the broody stage..and none of them are supposed to be setters. You should separate her from the nest for a few days. I have brought one of mine into my house for a couple of days, the others I have caged for a few days. My current broody is a black sex link and I will cage her and bring her into my house for a few days since it is so hot outside right now. Good luck breaking your hen of the current habit!

Just seperate her from the nest box by locking her in a cage or seperate area for a few days then let her out. If she goes back to the box give her another few days if she goes back to normal she is over it.

I have 2 Silkie girls who've gone broody, but I don't think there are any eggs under them, although they wont get up to really let me check. We've been taking their eggs daily and when I checked yesterday there were no eggs. I know they usually stop laying when they go broody, but if they don't have any eggs to lay on, will they lay a few to have something under them? If they don't have any eggs under them, will they snap out of it quickly?

In my recent experience, our EE bantam was broody for 4-5 weeks before we really figured it out and what to do to break her broodiness. We've only had chickens since spring of 2013... Anyhow, she would puff up and growl, but we would still reach under and take the egg, which wasn't usually even her own. Plenty of times she was sitting on nothing at all.

But with the frigid temps here in Wisonsin it was a hassle to put her on the roost with the others each night and then sometimes she'd go back and sleep on the nest if it wasn't too dark in the coop and she could find her way. We built our own broody cage with a wire floor and kept her in the cage (which we kept in the coop--it's a huge coop!) for only three days...let her out, and she was acting normal-- didn't run over to the nest.
We checked her every couple of hours...she was cured! Wish we had done it sooner!

Now...it's been about 10 days and I don't believe she's laying yet...she doesn't squat down when I reach out for her like she used to...she just runs away from me.
1f615.png
1f615.png
1f615.png

My Silkie has been sitting 4 weeks now (3 of those on eggs of which none have hatched) would it be cruel to give her another batch of fertile eggs? I reckon sitting and getting a few chicks would be better than forcing her out of broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom