How long do I quarantine a "sick" bird?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EquestrianGal, May 10, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    The reason I am asking is because I am really running out of quarantine spaces (I only have two). One is being used by our mother hen and chicks until they are a little older (and now, until I know that the flock is healthy!). The other is just a large dog kennel, actually. It is working very well for our guinea cock. He and the rest of the flock have been on antibiotics for 24 hours now. He seems to be a little more energetic today, but still having loose stools.

I currently have the RIR also in quarantine until I get a diagnosis of what is causing the egg issues (there is a remote chance it is Egg Drop Syndrome and I REALLY don't want that spreading to the flock). I would really like to put her in the dog kennel (once I disinfect it) as soon as possible b/c she is currently in our bathroom in a plastic bin--but she doesn't really stay there. (we don't have a garage or anything b/c it is an ooooold house and I don't want predators to get to her, so inside is the only place I have for her!)

So, my question is, once the whole flock is on antibiotics, is it necessary to keep the guinea out for much longer? I love my chicken, but don't want to share my bathroom with her.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    30+ days at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by