1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do I wait as of day 21?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The ruler of the roost, Sep 22, 2009.

1. The ruler of the roost

The ruler of the roost Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    What do I do if none of my eggs in my bator hatch as of the 21st day? I have not opened it and the temp has been an average of 99.5 to 100 degrees.
    Please help

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Have you candled them to check for movement? What is the humidity?
    Some one told me I could give it another 3 or 4 days if you have movement. I had a few of mine hatch on day 23 and 24.

3. Elliemaeburt

Elliemaeburt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Hope they are all late hatchers. Good luck.

4. The ruler of the roost

Jul 10, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    Thank you! I have not candled them. Wasn't sure if I should open the bator to do so. (?)
    Humidity is right on!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is it a still air bator or circulated air? If circ air, your temps are perfect. If still air, they are a couple of degrees too low. I never them go past Day 22. Only once did I allow one to go to Day 23 and only because it was a valuable chick. Some wait a longer time, but I don't want a very late hatching chick.
    In the future, I'd suggest candling at least one time so you do not have an early dying embryo start to rot in the bator. A broody hen gets off the nest once or twice a day, sometimes for an hour, so it's no big deal to candle a time or two.

6. The ruler of the roost

Jul 10, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    It's a still air.

Rut roh...now what? What should my temp be?

7. speckledhen

Your temp should have been 101.5-102 at the top of the eggs. They may hatch and they may not. All you can do is wait, then.

8. The ruler of the roost

Jul 10, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    Thank you Cynthia!

9. speckledhen

You're welcome. I hope they do hatch, but it appears you may have to wait another couple of days due to the lower temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by