How long do i wait to eat eggs after treating chickens with lincomycin

Shanepaul

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Connersville
I am treating 12 birds for and upper respitory. They all got a grumble in their lungs that sounded like congestion and also began coughing. My vet said it was an upper respitory and gave me lincomycin-spectinomycin and told me how to treat. I called her to see how long I should wait to eat the eggs and she said she wasnt real sure. She said as of now wait at least 10 days but if i gave her a call back she would know for sure how long. I figured someone on here with all the suroplus of chicken knowledge would know. Thanks for any help

Alvorax

"Contra indications: Animals hypersensitive to antibiotics. Do not administer to rabbits. Do not administer to laying poultry."

You might want to let your vet know that this is not intended for laying poultry. My first instinct is to say to toss the eggs (or feed them back to the birds) for 10-14 days after the last dose.

Hopefully someone else with more info will chime in?
smile.png

Edited to add quotes, as I was taking it directly from the link. I just learned something myself today!
smile.png

Last edited:
The drug was used off label, there is no published withdrawal times for laying hens. For those of us who sell or give eggs to others- withdrawal time legally is for LIFE. If you are the only one eating the eggs, the average time from yolk ripening to laid egg is around 2 weeks.

if you feed tainted eggs back to the birds, you are prolonging your residue in the egg time.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Alvorax

Contra indications: Animals hypersensitive to antibiotics. Do not administer to rabbits. Do not administer to laying poultry.

You might want to let your vet know that this is not intended for laying poultry. My first instinct is to say to toss the eggs (or feed them back to the birds) for 10-14 days after the last dose.

Hopefully someone else with more info will chime in?
smile.png

First off thanks for the pro vet site feed...and also your advice. Thanks both of you.

Does LIFE mean that I should never give any eggs away to friends and family? And if thats the case would I really want to be eating these myself? Let alone my family...I hope not because they are a: so yummy and b: I enjoyed taking everyone eggs.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Mine are in the same treatment. They had a 14 day treatment and vet advised a 14 day withdrawal after the last dose. We are at 1 week and plan to start eating the eggs again. Risk, maybe? I don’t know... I’ll let ya know if we are all still alive .

Just for your information: The issue comes into play if you or anyone in your family has a reaction to the residue in the eggs that you eat. Also resistance in the future can be an issue. Lincomycin is used to treat bacterial infections for those who cant use penicillin. Spectinomycin is used to treat gonorrhea.
You dont want to feed the eggs back to your chickens neither, it can create resistance as well.
If you have to use another antibiotic in the future, there are others available such as tylan 50 or tylan 200, denagard (for mycoplasma diseases,) SMZ-TMP, and many others available that are off label and effective...some with and without egg withdrawal periods.

All that said, we eat eggs after worming with benzimidazoles. The exception is ivermectin when I used it years ago.

Back
Top Bottom