How long do new chickens need to stay in the coop?

Jambo88

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
North Wales UK
My chooks have just been delivered and the breeder has told Mrs Jambo that they need to stay in the coop for 2/3 days which seems a bit long as when I had chickens before we kept them in the coop for 2/3 hours then let them roam about the run

They aren't going to free range they will be staying in the run so do they really need to stay in the coop that long? Also I've only made an auto feeder and nipple drinker that are in the run so I don't really want to got out and buy a drinker and feeder to put in the coop for a couple of days usage?

When I transferred my chickens from the brooder to the Coop, I kept them 'cooped' up for 2 days, with a little bit of 'runtime'. My chickens stay mostly in the run, although I do let them into my fenced in backyard when I am out there, or my kids are (we have some Falcons and Hawks in the area that are relishing the opportunity for a Chicken Dinner). But if you've already been introducing them, I'd say Black Cat has it fine - you can let them out into the run now - but be sure to lock them up in the evening. They'll get into the habit of going into the coop when it gets dark all on their own too.

Thanks Malfean I'm at work at the mo so I've told the missus to let them out into the run in a couple of hours

I'll put them on the roost just as it starts getting dark later when I lock them up for the night 👍

Thanks Malfean I'm at work at the mo so I've told the missus to let them out into the run in a couple of hours

I'll put them on the roost just as it starts getting dark later when I lock them up for the night 👍
I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see them go into the coop when it gets dark all by themselves. I was told they would do this, and when I saw them doing it, I was pretty happy. I also put a small wattage lightbulb in the coop (it just hangs there), so they'll saunter and swagger into the coop from the run.

61595134489__A654AEC6-F09B-473A-A846-F93F7D86D77E.JPG

this is my chicken run and the coop in the background (a converted shed). Because it is summer, and they're fully enclosed, I leave the door open. When it get cooler though, I will only open the door for eggs, and they can use the 'chicken door' I'll put into the main one.

I wouldn't keep them closed in the coop since it has a run attached.....provided that run has wire, netting, or a roof on it.
An open top run can lead to escapes. Birds new to the coop won't head back to it if they hop a fence.

You may need to put them in the coop at night for a few days.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see them go into the coop when it gets dark all by themselves. I was told they would do this, and when I saw them doing it, I was pretty happy. I also put a small wattage lightbulb in the coop (it just hangs there), so they'll saunter and swagger into the coop from the run.

View attachment 2293927
this is my chicken run and the coop in the background (a converted shed). Because it is summer, and they're fully enclosed, I leave the door open. When it get cooler though, I will only open the door for eggs, and they can use the 'chicken door' I'll put into the main one.
I wouldn't keep them closed in the coop since it has a run attached.....provided that run has wire, netting, or a roof on it.
An open top run can lead to escapes. Birds new to the coop won't head back to it if they hop a fence.

You may need to put them in the coop at night for a few days.

Heres my coop and run
DSC_0035.JPG
Its all fully enclosed as I've got hawks and red kites in my area so it needed a roof on it
The missus has just rung me and said shes let them out and they are having a good old scratch about 👍

Back
Top Bottom