How long do new chickens need to stay in the coop?

Yeah I saw your location. You probably get more rain than me! I'm in Herts. I love North Wales. But only in the summer 😁

I'm always amazed at the range of predators in the US, and count myself lucky we really only have a few here, and none that could kill a full grown human, let alone a chicken, lol.

I think they are about 16 weeks maybe a bit younger because on 2 of them their combs are really small (Sussex Ranger and White Star) and the other 3 don't look like they even have a comb?

We all spent some time holding them and just being in the run whilst they were scratching about

I spent time picking each one up and taking them to the drinker and touched their beaks on the nipples a few times and 4 of them are using it fine but the White Star can't quite figure it out and keeps pecking the pipe or the side of the nipple but she'll get there in the end

When it started getting dark we went out to usher them into the coop and 4 of them were already in and up on the roost so I just put the last one in and locked them up so it went better than I thought I expected to put them in at night for at least a couple of nights like when I had my last lot 👍
That is just awesome! I am glad you had such good luck with them. They know a good chicken Mama or Daddy when they see one. It’s also great that you were able to hold them. They must have been handled a great deal also by the previous owners or at the hatchery they came from which is a blessing. I am so relieved for you. You have it made now. A great little flock. So glad. Now just spoil them chicken wrangler extraordinaire. If I have misspelled words I am at the dentis with sunglasses on instead of my over 40 reading glasses and I can’t see squat. Best wishes on growing your lovely flock and I hope they all stay happy and healthy for you!🙏😊!

I spent time picking each one up and taking them to the drinker and touched their beaks on the nipples a few times and 4 of them are using it fine but the White Star can't quite figure it out and keeps pecking the pipe or the side of the nipple but she'll get there in the end

Some birds are a bit slower in figuring out nipples. If possible, pick her up each day and show her how to use it, until she figures it out. In the meantime make sure she either has an alternate source of water, or is stealing an adequate amount of water when other chickens drink.

Yeah I saw your location. You probably get more rain than me! I'm in Herts. I love North Wales. But only in the summer 😁

I'm always amazed at the range of predators in the US, and count myself lucky we really only have a few here, and none that could kill a full grown human, let alone a chicken, lol.
I live outside of Chicago, to the west in a suburban area... if I go about 5 miles east, its Urban. If I go about 10 miles west, its Rural. So I am in that little belt that looks like every suburban neighborhood you've ever seen on the Tele.

That said, in my area, I have personally seen the following predators strutting about looking for a quick meal: Raccoons (legions of them), Possums, Skunks, Hawks, Falcons, an Eagle, a very impressive Gray Crane, Red Foxes, Coyotes (just a pair... I call them the beach bums because they're blonde coated and look 'chill', to quote my teenage daughter), one very obnoxious badger, at least a dozen feral cats... but their numbers are slipping thanks to the other predators, and a rather lazy Woodchuck who appeared (back in 2015), and was an insult to his name as he appeared to know absolutely nothing about wood.

The Hawks and Falcons are the worst when it comes to going after my beloved chickens. They try on the daily, but all their attempts have failed so far, thanks to some chicken wire, and a pair of exceptionally loud and aggressive Crows that chase them all over when spotted.

I can sit on my back patio and watch nature in full action over here, and sometimes it can be very entertaining... but I still worry about my ladies, because chicken wire mesh might keep the hawks and falcons away, but a hungry Coyote or Raccoon is going to make relatively short work of it, predator apron or not. Hence, I lock them up nightly in a coop made of resin. I'm sure a predator could get into it, but they would really have to work at it, and it would be easy to spot if they did... plus... I have a motion sensor light on that coop now, so if any wily little critters come calling, they get the spotlight treatment.

It's so interesting to hear other people's experiences. I never cease to be amazed at the protection you need to safeguard your birds, when I don't even need to lock mine up in the coop in summer overnight. I have a nearby legion of crows (about 50 or more jackdaws) who have fantastic aerial battles with the kites and hawks around here, always seeing them off.

I've only ever lost one bird in many many years of chicken keeping, and I have no idea if someone or something took her, or she just ran away! Cream legbar she was, and very flighty. Just disappeared one day.

It's so interesting to hear other people's experiences. I never cease to be amazed at the protection you need to safeguard your birds, when I don't even need to lock mine up in the coop in summer overnight. I have a nearby legion of crows (about 50 or more jackdaws) who have fantastic aerial battles with the kites and hawks around here, always seeing them off.

I've only ever lost one bird in many many years of chicken keeping, and I have no idea if someone or something took her, or she just ran away! Cream legbar she was, and very flighty. Just disappeared one day.
What was interesting was on Sunday one of those Hawks, a beautiful one at that, came in across my lawn and face planted into the chicken wire of the Run. Naturally, the Chickens went berserk and all raced into the Coop, but that Hawk... I thought she'd killed herself. Instead, she got up, flew off making this loud Eek Eek sound. She reappeared about half an hour later on the neighbor's fence, watching the Chicken Run. I can only imagine what was going through her mind... aside from how much that must have hurt.

The chickens hanging out on the jungle gym
DSC_0045.JPG

Last edited:
My chooks have just been delivered and the breeder has told Mrs Jambo that they need to stay in the coop for 2/3 days which seems a bit long as when I had chickens before we kept them in the coop for 2/3 hours then let them roam about the run

They aren't going to free range they will be staying in the run so do they really need to stay in the coop that long? Also I've only made an auto feeder and nipple drinker that are in the run so I don't really want to got out and buy a drinker and feeder to put in the coop for a couple of days usage?
when my chickens were ready to go into the coop I got them in and then had the run door open and they knew they had to be in at night and were all ready up on the roosts. I think yours will do fine with the run door open cause they will know when it gets dusk to go into the coop.

What was interesting was on Sunday one of those Hawks, a beautiful one at that, came in across my lawn and face planted into the chicken wire of the Run. Naturally, the Chickens went berserk and all raced into the Coop, but that Hawk... I thought she'd killed herself. Instead, she got up, flew off making this loud Eek Eek sound. She reappeared about half an hour later on the neighbor's fence, watching the Chicken Run. I can only imagine what was going through her mind... aside from how much that must have hurt.
Wow, I hope she learned a lesson from that: Those chickens are not going to be her dinner!

Back
Top Bottom